A UF piano professor has been named director of UF’s School of Music.

Kevin Orr, who has been with UF for the past 17 years, accepted the job Monday and will start July 1, said Lucinda Lavelli, the dean of the College of the Arts. He has served as interim director of the school since July 2015.

She said Orr was chosen by the search committee because of his knowledge of the school and the field of music. As a pianist who has performed internationally, Orr understands the training students need to get jobs.

“He’ll be keeping an eye on the curriculum to make sure it’s current — offering our students the best learning experience they can get,” she said.

Lavelli said Orr will work to get the resources the school needs such as a new building and a marching band field.

“He will continue to look for opportunities to bring training and education to students, so that when they graduate, they’ll be very competitive in securing positions,” Lavelli said.

Scott Wilson, a UF associate professor of jazz, said Orr is qualified because he understands how the college operates.

He said Orr will transform the School of Music, as shown by how he has worked to bring necessary renovations to the building, which suffers from a poor heating, venting and cooling system and has a leaky roof.

“He has a world-class demeanor and work ethic,” he said. “In my entire career, I have never met someone more qualified to take the job.”