Pretty much everyone agrees that 2016 was a terrible year in general, but in a year with a lot of downs, we had some amazing music to carry us through those tough 365 days. There were dozens of perfect albums that came out last year, but here are my personal top 10 releases of 2016.

No. 10: Majid Jordan — “Majid Jordan”

Majid Jordan released their self-titled debut Feb. 5, and it remained one of the best albums of last year. With their unique R&B/funk sound, incredible vocals and flawless production, Majid Jordan made an album you can leave on repeat for hours.

No. 9: Solange Knowles — “A Seat at the Table”

Solange Knowles released her first album in eight years in late September to critical acclaim. “A Seat at the Table” is not only smooth and relaxing, but it carries a deep and important message. In a time where race is a touchy topic, most choose not to confront, Knowles takes it head on and speaks her mind on racism, and she details experiences in not only her life, but in her parents and others lives such as hip-hop great, Master P.

No. 8: Chance The Rapper — “Coloring Book”

Chance the Rapper became a household name in 2016 because of his feature on Kanye West’s song “Ultralight Beam,” and he continued the gospel-feel from the track with the release of his third project “Coloring Book,” which was a critical and financial success.

No. 7: Rihanna — “ANTI”

Even though Rihanna is one of the most recognizable artists in the world, “ANTI” was slept on in my opinion. It’s one of those albums you go back and listen to and forget just how good it is; definitely a top 10 album.

No. 6: Francis and the Lights — “Farewell, Starlite!”

“Farewell, Starlite!” is an album you may not like at first, but will become one of your favorites if given a few listens. The album’s tracklist is absolutely perfect, and it flows smoothly and has incredible replay value.

No. 5: Anderson .Paak — “Malibu”

When I first heard Anderson .Paak on Dr. Dre’s album “Compton,” I couldn’t get enough of him. With his one-of-a-kind raspy voice, Anderson .Paak is one of the brightest young talents in music.

No. 4: Travis Scott — “Birds In The Trap Sing McKnight”

Travis Scott can produce as well as anyone else in hip-hop, and he can probably out-rap your favorite rapper. He’s now released four projects in the last four years, and he isn’t showing any signs of slowing down. “BITTSM” is perfect from start to finish to no surprise, and he has a top-four album for the second year in a row.

No. 3: Bon Iver — “22, A Million”

After five years, Bon Iver returned with a short, but stunning album, “22, A Million.” Iver’s raw, high-pitched and layered vocals, and his creative use of unusual instruments puts him in a different category from any other artist.

No. 2: Kanye West — “The Life of Pablo”

From Kanye West debuting his album during his Yeezy Season fashion show, to a sold-out Madison Square Garden, to the Taylor Swift lyric in “Famous” that caused controversy, to the edits he made to the album over time: “TLOP” was spectacular. After experimenting on “Yeezus,” many people thought West might have lost his touch and hip-hop roots. That definitely wasn’t the case; “TLOP” is vintage West with a touch of new-school rap and hip-hop, and it is one of his best albums to date.

No. 1: Frank Ocean — “Blonde”

I honestly wondered if Frank Ocean would ever make music again after disappearing for nearly four years. Eventually, “Blonde” was released in August and subsequently broke the internet. Ocean did not disappoint with “Blonde,” which is the most beautiful album I’ve heard in long, long time.