<p>Gators fans cheer during No. 19 Florida's 67-61 win against No. 13 Kansas on Dec. 10 in the O'Connell Center.</p>

Gators fans cheer during No. 19 Florida's 67-61 win against No. 13 Kansas on Dec. 10 in the O'Connell Center.

Every basketball game, Kalie Laughlin stands and screams along with Rowdy Reptiles dressed in orange and blue bodysuits.

As the UF men’s basketball team advances in March Madness, the group wants to reclaim their own title as student section of the year in the National Collegiate Student Section Association’s competition.

The Rowdy Reptiles, the UF men’s basketball student fan group, won last year and are currently in the “Sweet 16” level of the tournament, said Jake Kilgore, the group’s vice president.

Laughlin, a 22-year-old UF marine science senior and the organization’s treasurer, said the winning team is determined by popular vote, and people can vote once every 24 hours. Vote count resets with the advancement to each round.

In Laughlin’s opinion, the Rowdy Reptiles are the best student section in the nation.

“We’re as hype as it comes when it comes to sports,” she said.

Kilgore, a 20-year-old UF business administration junior, said last year’s win came with a trophy and $1,000, which the group used to create a banner for the first home game. This year the winner receives $1,500.

“I think being a part of the Rowdy Reptiles and the men’s basketball games isn’t really something you can put into words,” Kilgore said. “I always tell people it’s the biggest culmination of Gator spirit on campus.”

Laughlin said the team frequently holds up banners, paints their bodies and works to intimidate the opposing group to help the Gators win.

She said one member of the group is assigned to research everything about the other team, including players’ hometowns and names of family, to add to the intimidation.

“Ultimately the team decides the outcome of the game, but we try to help them in winning,” Laughlin said.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen