Researchers find low oxygen leads to fetal brain damage

Reducing oxygen for just 30 minutes, known as hypoxia, can drive bacteria from the mother’s body into the fetus’s brain, UF researchers showed.

In a study on sheep, researchers found reduced oxygen allows bacteria to travel from the mother’s placenta into the fetus’ brain and produce inflammation. The researchers believe a similar reaction occurs in human expecting mothers.

Charles Wood, a professor in the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Physiology and Functional Genomics, said expectant mothers should not worry about hypoxia from flights, high-altitude driving or sleep apnea.

Researchers used lab tests that simulated oxygen levels in the brain at about 12,000 feet above sea level to confirm this.

“This discovery shows that the presence of a small number of bacteria in the fetus is part of a normal pregnancy,” Wood said.

The findings will affect mothers and newborns by giving new best treatments for infants at risk of hypoxia-related central nervous system damage. Wood said this finding could potentially change the current treatment for infants who are suffering after oxygen deprivation.

Wood, who is known for his expertise with fetal stress response, said the finding was a defining moment for his professional life.

“I clearly view this as the most important thing I’ve ever done in my whole career,” Wood said. “We think that this is a sea change in our field.”