Lee Anne Hurt Chesterfield
Lee Anne Hurt Chesterfield

The Harn Museum of Art is welcoming Lee Anne Hurt Chesterfield as the new museum director.

Chesterfield will begin at the Harn on July 1 after years of working her way up the ladder at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Currently, she is serving as the senior adviser for Museum Planning and Board Relations at VMFA.

Chesterfield, whose educational background is rooted in marketing and art, said she is excited to bring her skills in strategic planning to the Harn and increase accessibility to the community. Chesterfield believes the best way to engage the community is by engaging its interests through exhibits and events.

“The biggest thing is doing research into the community,” Chesterfield said. “There’s a big music scene in Gainesville, so maybe do even more with music.”

Chesterfield will be taking the position as current Director Rebecca Nagy retires after 16 years with the museum. She said Nagy called her when she was offered the job to congratulate her. Chesterfield hopes to sit down with Nagy when she comes to Florida to pick the brain of her predecessor.

“These are big shoes to fill,” Chesterfield said. “She has quite a legacy with the Harn.”