<p>Parker</p>

Parker

Gainesville Police arrested a 20-year-old man on attempted murder and a robbery charge after they say he attacked a homeless man Sunday who refused to give him $10.

The homeless man was seen covered in blood and crawling toward 2600 NE 39th Ave. in Gainesville at about 5:30 p.m., according to a Gainesville Police arrest report. He was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital and had life-threatening skull and facial fractures.

He told police that Jared Parker, 20, of Gainesville, came to his tent at about 4 p.m. asking for money, the report said. When he declined, Parker became upset. An hour later, the man said he woke up to Parker beating his face with an object and taking his wallet containing $10. The man said he was beaten in and out of consciousness.

He then crawled to the street for help after Parker stopped beating him, the report said.

Parker initially denied the man’s allegations and said he would never hit a homeless man. He told police he did not hit the victim first but could not prove it, the report said. A witness saw Parker later that night, who told them he killed a man.

Parker later told police the two men got into an argument after the homeless man gave Parker $5, the report said. When Parker asked for more cash, the man tried to take back his money because he did not want to give Parker more.

Parker confirmed he told the witness he had killed a man, the report said.

Parker told police he had been bullied throughout his life and was tired of that treatment, so he became upset and began to hit the man. He told police, “I hit him too hard,” “I thought I killed him,” and, “I thought he was dead,” according to the report.

Parker apologized to police and said, “I’m not that way when I’m not on drugs.”

He remained in the Alachua County Jail Tuesday in lieu of a $300,000 bond.

Parker