UF student’s grandparents stranded on coronavirus quarantined cruise ship

cruising
cruising

Ella McIver’s grandparents celebrated her grandfather’s 80th birthday with a cruise throughout Asia on the Diamond Princess, but the trip has lasted longer than expected.

A quarantine on the ship began Monday after a man from Hong Kong who had disembarked from the ship tested positive for coronavirus. The quarantine has a Feb. 19 end date.

McIver, an 18-year-old UF English and art history freshman, said she has only been able to contact her grandparents through email, which has been difficult because of the 14-hour time difference.    

Jan Swartz, the president of Princess Cruises, wrote in a statement Saturday that six additional coronavirus cases, including five crew members, were confirmed on the Diamond Princess. There are 70 total cases with more than 3,700 onboard, according to The New York Times. 

“It’s now just sort of a waiting game and there’s really nothing we can all do except just let them stay in their quarantine,” she said. “They can’t leave their cabin.”

Linda Potts, 74, and Michael Terence Potts, 80, flew from England and boarded the Diamond Princess on Jan. 20 in Tokyo. Word search, television and their three books have been their saving grace in the cramped room.

“Japan was a place we hadn’t been to before, and up until this happened, we had enjoyed our cruise,” Linda Potts wrote in an email to The Alligator Friday. 

The ship is currently docked in Yokohama, Japan, according to the New York Times. 

The couple receives three meals per day and are provided with free phone calls and internet, but Linda Potts said she is still worried about getting the virus. She said they were provided masks, rubber gloves and thermometers to monitor any sickness.

Michael Terrence Potts, however, is having a harder time since he is diabetic. The couple packed extra insulin that lasted until Sunday, and Linda Potts wrote Friday that the medical team was working to provide the extra medication.

The couple was unsure if they will receive any refunds or benefits from the cruise for the quarantine. However, Princess Cruises wrote in a statement Tuesday that all guests will receive a full refund and 100 percent future cruise credit. 

The company also stated that they provided eight new satellite TV channels, more than 80 new video-on-demand releases, printed newspapers in 36 languages, pre-printed trivia, daily puzzles and food and beverage options. 

“All I can say is being in quarantine is a very challenging situation,” Linda Potts wrote.

Contact Stephany Matat at smatat@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @StephanyMatat.