Are you interested in joining one of the largest independent, student-run newspapers in the country? The Alligator is looking for its next team of copy desk editors to move the newspaper forward.
Because of restrictions brought about by COVID-19, The Alligator will operate differently this Summer than in previous semesters. We have reduced our print production from twice a week in summers to once a week, and a majority of communications will take place over Zoom, including weekly staff meetings on Sundays.
In addition to the application, applicants will be asked to complete an online fact-checking and AP style quiz. Applicants must be a current UF or Santa Fe College student.
ONLINE APPLICATIONS ARE DUE MAY 6 at 5 p.m.
Decisions will be announced by May 9, and the first print night will be Sunday, May 10.
Please apply here.
- Mandatory attendance at a Zoom staff meeting every Sunday at 4 p.m.
- One night of work on Sunday (from around 6 p.m. to 1 a.m.)
- Willingness to pick up remote work during the week
Preferred qualifications include:
- Familiarity with AP style and fact-checking
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline
- Good attitude and team player
- Willingness to learn from criticism and grow as a writer and editor
Please don’t hesitate to email Alligator Editor-in-Chief, Christian Ortega, at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Alligator staff from the Spring 2020 semester pose for a photo during a Zoom meeting. The incoming Summer 2020 staff reports remotely and communicates using the video conferencing service.