“The King of Staten Island”: A Conversation with Director Judd Apatow

<p>Pete Davidson as Scott Carlin in The King of Staten Island, directed by Judd Apatow.</p>

Pete Davidson as Scott Carlin in The King of Staten Island, directed by Judd Apatow.

Pete Davidson gives a child a tattoo, smokes a lot of weed and comes to terms with the death of his firefighter father as “The King of Staten Island” in director Judd Apatow’s newest comedy available on-demand Friday.  

The story, co-written by Davidson, Apatow and Dave Sirus is a play on what Davidson’s own life might have been like if he hadn’t pursued a career in comedy.

Apatow said that when the group first started working on a movie they struggled to find a good story to tell. Once Davidson began to write more personally, the movie began to take form.

“We just talked about his life and also this fictional world we were creating and elements from his real life that could inspire story and characters for this fictional world,” Apatow said. “Even though most of the movie is made up and didn't happen, when it was over, you feel like you really got to know Pete and what he's been through.”

While the film is primarily a comedy, it doesn’t shy away from more serious topics. Throughout the movie, Davidson’s character Scott struggles with grief and the reality that his father died saving a complete stranger from a fire. Apatow said that throughout the process of making the film and talking to firefighters, he gained an immense amount of respect for their distinct breed of heroism.

“[A] man said to me, ‘I know this sounds corny, but we just really like helping people.’ And he was so sincere, it really touched me,” Apatow said. “I think it is that very ... everyday quality that, to me, was so powerful. This was just the way they chose to live their life.”

In tackling themes of sacrifice and grief, the film puts a spotlight on topics relating to mental health. Davidson’s character is a sort of “lost soul” according to Apatow. He lives with his mother while his little sister goes off to college, he spends most of his time high and is constantly fighting with his friends and family. Apatow said he tends to be drawn to characters like this.

Like Steve Carrell’s character in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” and Amy Schumer’s character in “Trainwreck,” Apatow said the protagonists of his films are “usually somebody that needs something to happen to knock them out of their rut to force them to grow or evolve in some way.” 

He said that characters like this often offer the best depiction of the human experience. 

“Everybody in the world is just trying to get through the day …  and that’s, you know, very difficult a lot of the time, so I love compassion for the basic human struggle. But I also find it really funny.”

Apatow is credited with propelling many comedians into the spotlight, including Jonah Hill, Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogan. Apatow first discovered Davidson after he was cast in his movie, “Trainwreck.” 

“The King of Staten Island” features young actors such as Bel Powley, Moises Arias and Maude Apatow — all of whom could be the next big thing, according to Apatow.

Mateo Acosta, a 20-year-old UF philosophy and economics junior and University Film Society member, said he is excited to watch the movie.

I am one hundred percent interested in seeing this,” he said. “I am a bit apprehensive about seeing a more dramatic performance from Pete Davidson since his background is mostly just SNL and stand up, but I trust that the people involved are committed to making a great film.”

Most of this excitement stems from his love of Apatow’s show, “Freaks and Geeks.” 

“‘Freaks and Geeks’ is probably one of my favorite shows and deserves a lot of credit for kickstarting so many careers,” Acosta said. “He [Apatow] is good at getting extremely funny and genuine performances out of actors.”

“The King of Staten Island” can be watched on Apple TV, Prime Video, Google Play and more Friday. Visit the film’s website for more information.

Contact Nora O'Neill at noneill@alligator.org and follow her Twitter at @noroneill.

Nora O'Neill

Nora O'Neill is a fourth-year journalism and philosophy student and the Enterprise Editor for The Alligator. She previously served as the Avenue Editor and the business and economics beat reporter. In her free time you can find her reading books with no plot and abusing her Chemex.