Rush moved online

The Panhellenic Council moved recruitment entirely online due to ongoing concerns regarding COVID-19, after initially announcing it would have one final in-person round.

For years, Katherine Terry dreamed about shopping for white dresses and rompers she’d wear to rush week and the friends she’d make in line outside of sorority houses.

Instead, she’ll meet her soon-to-be sisters from behind a computer screen. The 18-year-old UF psychology freshman filmed an introductory video and answered questions like, “What are you passionate about?” and “Why do you want to join a sorority?” to a camera.

“It was super awkward,” she said. “It’s so hard to develop your personality in a 90-second video.”

greek recruitment online

Katherine Terry, 18, during her 90-second introductory video. 

Terry and other students hoping to join UF sororities will have a completely virtual rush week this Fall. The Panhellenic Council, which oversees 18 UF sororities, moved its recruitment entirely online due to ongoing concerns regarding COVID-19, after initially announcing it would have one final in-person round.

Individual chapters may still choose to hold in-person events on Aug. 27 and beyond. Potential new members will be asked to submit a form Aug. 26 indicating whether they will be in Gainesville and would like to attend an in-person event to celebrate their bid, or acceptance into a sorority.

Any in-person event must adhere to UF, Florida and federal safety regulations, like wearing masks in UF facilities and maintaining a social distance of at least six feet. New members can opt out of any in-person events, according to the plan.

Rush week will consist of four virtual rounds from Aug. 20 to 27, according to the plan. During these rounds, new recruits will get to know each chapter and their potential sisters by watching introductory videos and mingling over Zoom.

Potential new members will be offered membership to a chapter in a Zoom meeting at the end of the week, according to the plan.

Rush week schedule

Rhian Alaniz, an 18-year-old UF applied physiology and kinesiology freshman, said the prospect of rushing over Zoom is daunting.

Alaniz said she wanted to join Greek life since her sophomore year of high school, when her older sister joined a sorority at Florida State University. Since then, she’s been excited to rush and meet the friends who would become her sisters.

“My sister said it was probably the best week of freshman year,” Alaniz said.

Now, Alaniz said she worries how talking over Zoom will impact her experience.

“I’m a little more worried that I won’t find the perfect one for me,” she said.

Lianna Hubbard

Lianna Hubbard is a reporter for The Alligator’s Investigative Team. The UF women’s study major began as a freelance reporter three years ago. She founded her community college’s award-winning newspaper before beginning at The Independent Florida Alligator. See an issue in your community or a story at UF? Send tips to her Twitter.