Florida set to play 16 matches in Spring

The Gators have eight double-headers scheduled like during the fall

<p>The Gators congregate in a huddle formation at their loss against LSU last season. UF will look to extend its seven-game winning streak against Arkansas.</p>

The Gators congregate in a huddle formation at their loss against LSU last season. UF will look to extend its seven-game winning streak against Arkansas.

Florida will play 16 conference-only matches in the spring following the SEC’s announcement Monday.

The Gators have eight double-headers scheduled like during the fall. The first serve of their spring season is scheduled for Jan. 29-30 in Oxford, Mississippi, where they will take on the Rebels. UF will then return to the O’Dome for a clash with Missouri the following weekend. The team will learn its fate on April 4 during the NCAA selection show near the end of the spring season. 

Exactech Arena capacity will still be limited to 2,200 fans. The orange and blue faithful are expected to follow social distancing and to wear masks unless eating or drinking. 

No. 7 Florida finished its fall season 6-2, splitting its series against unranked South Carolina and Georgia. It defeated UGA 3-1, breaking a two-match losing skid. 

After facing unranked opponents during the first half of its schedule, UF is slated to face three ranked foes, including No. 2 Kentucky and No. 8 Missouri. 

Coach Mary Wise’s squad still boasts one of the most fearsome defenses in the country. UF ranks fourth in blocks per set at 2.95. Two Gators middle blockers, Lauren Dooley and Nnedi Okammor, are in the top 10 in blocks per set. 

Florida is just as fierce on offense, ranking 10th best in hitting percentage. No Gator jumps off the page individually, but setter Marlie Monserez is 16th in assists per set. 

UF’s spring schedule is set to wrap up on March 25 against Texas A&M.

Television information and match times will be announced at a later date. Florida’s entire spring schedule can be found here.

Contact Zachary Huber at zhuber@alligator.com and follow him on Twitter @zacharyahuber.