<p>Senior Ida Jarlskog (pictured) and freshman Sara Dahlstrom came narrowly close to upsetting FSU top-50 doubles pair.</p><p> </p>

Senior Ida Jarlskog (pictured) and freshman Sara Dahlstrom came narrowly close to upsetting FSU top-50 doubles pair.

The Gators are kicking off a brand new season and will receive a shot for redemption at an SEC title run.

The COVID-19 pandemic put a stop to all SEC athletics last year when the Gators were falling behind to 5-4. Florida suffered a two-game losing streak to No. 25 LSU and No. 36 Texas A&M. 

But that’s in the past, and now it’s a clean slate. 

Georgia State is also seeking redemption. The Panthers travel to the Swamp after losing their home opener to Liberty in a 6-1 landslide. The only highlight for GSU came from sophomore Angel Carney who dominated in her 6-2, 6-3 win. 

The ITA has three Gators in the top-100 singles. No. 32 McCartney Kessler is doubling with partner No. 85 Marlee Zein. They’re an elite duo, ranked at No. 26. They combined for a 10-4 singles record in 2020 and hope their solo talents will translate into doubles success.

Junior Sydney Berlin from Buffalo, New York, is looking to capitalize on the fresh start. The match-ups aren’t set until an hour before the first serve, but it is likely we’ll see Berlin on the starting six for the Gators.

The question coming into Monday is whether Florida will live up to its placement of third in the SEC Coaches’ Poll. The Gators should be grateful to start at home as their record is 41-2 in season home openers. 

The first serve will be at 3 p.m. Monday at Alfred A. Ring Tennis Complex. The matches can be streamed at FloridaGators.com.

Contact Jesse Richardson at jrichardson@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @JesseRich352