Pitcher Liam Peterson announces commitment to Florida

Peterson becomes the seventh class of 2023 commitment for the Gators

<p>Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan said his team is "trending upward" after sweeping Missouri.</p>

Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan said his team is "trending upward" after sweeping Missouri.

Florida baseball landed another commitment from the class of 2023.

Liam Peterson, a right-handed pitcher from Palm Harbor, Florida, announced his commitment to the Gators on Twitter Monday afternoon. 

Peterson is the No. 255 overall prospect and 65th ranked right-handed pitcher in the nation. The 6-foot-3-inch-and-180-pound future Gator is a sophomore at Countryside High School in Clearwater, Florida.

The young recruit wrote on Twitter that he’s honored and excited to continue his academic and baseball career at UF.

Peterson’s key pitch is the fastball and averages 88 mph, according to Perfect Game. The class of 2023’s average for the same pitch is 76 mph, putting Peterson in the 98th percentile for fastball velocity. 

The righty has gathered several accolades in his brief career. He was named the Most Valuable Pitcher in the 2021 Perfect Game East MLK Championship, which took place in mid-January. 

At 15 years old, Peterson is Florida’s seventh committed recruit from his class, according to Perfect Game. He joins Top Tier Roos American teammate Cade Kurland, who committed to Florida in June 2019.

The Gators have been known for their dominant pitching during the coach Kevin O’Sullivan era. Peterson, a tall prospect who can run up the radar gun, should fit right in.

Contact Sara Kate Dyson at skatedyson@alligator.org or follow her on Twitter at @sarakatedyson