Florida lacrosse ranks seventh, eight in preseason polls

Inside Lacrosse ranks the Gators seventh after finishing sixth last season

<p>Florida will take on Stetson in DeLand, Florida, Saturday for the first time since 2014</p>

Florida will take on Stetson in DeLand, Florida, Saturday for the first time since 2014

Florida finds itself in the top 10 in preseason polls yet again. 

Inside Lacrosse released its 2021 Preseason Division I Top 20 Rankings Jan.25, putting the Gators at No. 7 — a step down from last year’s ranking.  Florida also ranked in the same spot in the Nike/US Division I Women’s Preseason Top-20 Poll announced in early January. 

But the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association Division I Preseason Poll ranked Florida No. 8 Monday to start the 2021 season. This is the 11th time the Gators have been ranked in the IWLCA poll. Last year, Florida sat at  No. 14.

The Gators have ranked first in their conference every year by the end of each season. The only exception was during their inaugural season in 2010.

Florida is part of the AAC — a spot unique for lacrosse as all other UF teams are in the SEC. Florida joined the conference after four seasons in the Big East Conference. It was previously a member of the American Lacrosse Conference from 2010-2014. 

Florida is the only AAC team to rank on both Inside Lacrosse and Nike’s preseason polls.

The orange and blue ended 2020 as the No. 6 seed with a 6-2 record after the season abruptly ended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Heading into their 12th season, the Gators have yet to reach the NCAA Division I Women's Lacrosse Championship. Things are looking up as their roster remains solid with senior midfielder Shannon Kavanagh leading the pack. 

The Gators kick off their season in Kentucky against the Louisville Cardinals Feb.13

Contact Karina Wilson at kwilson@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @kk_rinaa

Karina Wilson

Karina Wilson is a second-year student at the University of Florida within the College of Journalism and Communications with a specialization in sports and media. She aims to produce engaging, accurate and current content for all types of sports fans. Currently, Karina is The Alligator's lacrosse beat writer.