Gators in 14th after day one in Columbia

Florida carded a collective 14-over-par in the first round of the Gamecock Intercollegiate

<p>Maria Torres watches her shot during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on Saturday, March 11, 2017 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville. </p>

Maria Torres watches her shot during the SunTrust Gator Women's Golf Invitational on Saturday, March 11, 2017 at the Mark Bostick Golf Course in Gainesville. 

The Florida women’s golf team floundered Monday in the first round of the Gamecock Intercollegiate and shot 14-over-par as a team. 

The Gators are in 14th place, 20 shots behind the leading Duke as they head into day two.

The Gators struggled from top to bottom during the first round. Each player failed to crack the top 45 individually. Freshman Maisie Filler and junior Jenny Kim composed the Gators’ best finished, as both shot 3-over-par to tie for 47th.

Filler’s day was a rollercoaster. After starting out with four straight pars, the freshman shot 5-over-par on the following six holes. She  bounced back slightly and carded back-to-back birdies on holes 14 and 15 to finish at a 3-over-par 75.

Sophomore Marina Escobar and junior Clara Manzalini came behind Kim and Filler and both shot a 4-over-par 76. Four bogeys, a double bogey and two birdies highlighted Escobar’s day. 

Manzalini knocked down two birdies but also added six bogeys, including four on the back nine. Senior Elin Esborn finished the round 11-over-par for the 96th slot.

The Columbia Country Club proved a difficult host Monday. 

Golfers averaged a 74.49, nearly three strokes higher than the course par of 72. Florida will need to adjust to the course quickly to get back into contention. 

The team averaged 3.40 strokes per par-3, the third-worst average of the tournament. The Gators weren’t much better on the longer holes either and averaged the third-worst stroke total on par-5s at 5.15 strokes per hole. They also knocked down the fourth least pars and birdies among competitors.

Florida will look to right the ship Tuesday morning. Esborn will lead the Gators off the tee at 9 a.m. Live updates can be found at Golfstat.com.

Contact Michael Hull at mhull@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Michael_Hull33

Michael Hull

Michael Hull is a fourth-year journalism sports & media major and a sports writer at The Alligator. He hosts the weekly sports podcast and has worked on staff for five semesters. In the past, Hull has served as the sports editor, the men's and women's golf beat writer, the volleyball beat writer and the football beat writer.