Gators hit the road for a weekend series against Auburn

The Gators look to continue their six-game win streak on the road against Auburn

The Gators look to continue a run as they head on the road to a conference weekend series against Auburn. Photo from UF-Jacksonville game March 14.

Jordan Carrion, Florida’s seventh pitcher of Tuesday night, stepped onto the mound with just one out remaining in the bottom of the ninth inning. 

Carrion forced a groundout to end the game, and the Gators celebrated a win that was too close for comfort against the unranked Jacksonville Dolphins. The game marked Florida’s sixth win in a row, the longest streak they’ve held all season. 

The Gators look to continue that run as they head on the road to a conference weekend series against Auburn.

In their last weekend series against Missouri, the Gators earned their first conference sweep since SEC opening weekend against Texas A&M. Missouri resides last in the SEC East standings, with Auburn lies last in the SEC West and the conference as a whole. 

Auburn’s 2-13 conference record should bode well for the Gators this weekend. Florida swept all but one weekend series against unranked opponents this season. 

The relief staff plays a major role for the Gators. Although head coach Kevin O’Sullivan moved around the weekend starting pitching rotation each week, the relievers often still hold the key to conference success. 

Right-hander Christian Scott threw 5.2 innings of relief in Friday’s win against Missouri. The sophomore gave up just one hit and no runs throughout his outing. 

Junior Jack Leftwich found his footing out of the bullpen last week. He threw four hitless, scoreless innings of relief against Missouri. 

The Gators also have to find the key to winning on the road. Their only other SEC road trips ended in a sweep at the hands of South Carolina and a 2-1 series loss to Tennessee. 

Although Auburn may be the worst team in the SEC statistically, the Gators need to find a way to break their road-trip slump. 

The Gators kick off the series against Auburn at Plainsman Park Friday at 7 p.m. The game will broadcast on the SEC Network+.

Contact Sara Kate Dyson at skatedyson@alligator.org or follow her on Twitter at @sarakatedyson