Maryland defender Catherine Flaherty transfers to Florida

The rising junior appeared in three games during the 2021 season

<p>UF lacrosse head coach Amanda O&#x27;Leary. The Gators fell to Loyola, 12-9 Friday.</p>

UF lacrosse head coach Amanda O'Leary. The Gators fell to Loyola, 12-9 Friday.

Florida lacrosse welcomed defender Catherine Flaherty as a transfer from Maryland Wednesday

The rising junior appeared in four games as a Terrapin, including three in the 2021 season.

The New York native ranked No. 13 by ILWomen as a high school recruit and claimed the title of the highest-rated defender in her class. The 2019 Under Armour All-American took home two New York State Championships with Eastport South Manor.

Flaherty was named captain for the 2018 and 2019 seasons, earning All-American and All-State honors during both campaigns. The defender accumulated several awards and accolades throughout her club (Long Island Yellow Jackets) and high school career — including 2018 USA Today All-USA First Team honors, 2018 Long Island Top 100 honors and a 2016 National Championship title.

She will join seven other newcomers on the UF squad for the 2021-2022 season.

Karina Wilson

Karina Wilson is a second-year student at the University of Florida within the College of Journalism and Communications with a specialization in sports and media. She aims to produce engaging, accurate and current content for all types of sports fans. Currently, Karina is The Alligator's lacrosse beat writer.