Santa Fe College COVID-19 update: 42 positive cases were reported in the last week

Including students and employees, the college’s total number of reported positive cases is now 965

Santa Fe College reported 42 positive COVID-19 cases between Aug. 31 and Sept. 6. There were 37 student cases and five employee cases. 

Since March 2020, the total number of reported positive cases from students is now 876, and the total number of reported positive cases from employees is 89, according to a report by Santa Fe’s director of human resources Lela Frye.

The college opened a total of 130 COVID-19 case investigations from Aug. 31 to Sept. 6, including 110 student investigations and 20 employee investigations.

Five employees and 15 students with positive COVID-19 test results may have been on campus while positive, according to Frye’s report. The college, however, has reported no additional exposures or community spread from on-campus positive cases.

The college requests all students, faculty and staff perform a daily self-assessment before coming to campus. Masks are not required, but the college strongly encourages anyone on campus to wear a mask indoors, regardless of their vaccination status.

The college requires students who test positive for COVID-19, experience any symptoms of COVID-19 or believe they have had contact with someone who has COVID-19 complete a confidential online form, disclosing their potential exposure.

The college announced Thursday that the annual State of the College luncheon scheduled for Sept. 15 has been postponed due to the latest increase in COVID-19 cases. The luncheon has not been rescheduled, but the college will ensure that tickets previously purchased can be used for the future luncheon.

Contact Eve Thompson at ethompson@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @evealanaa.

Eve Thompson

Eve Thompson is a third-year journalism major covering Santa Fe. In the past, Eve was a News Assistant on the university desk. When she’s not submitting public records requests or staring at a blank Google doc, Eve can be found on a boat, usually listening to 70s music.