Four-star defensive tackle prospect Jamari Lyons commits to Florida

The Florida Gators Football team continues to stockpile on young talent

Florida football landed its 15th recruit of the 2022 cycle Wednesday with four-star defensive lineman Jamari Lyons.

The future of the Florida Gators football team just got bigger and stronger. 

Jamari Lyons, a standout player from Viera High School in Melbourne, Florida, announced his verbal commitment to Florida on Wednesday. 

The star defensive lineman became the Gators’ 15th commitment from the class of 2022.

Lyons received offers from South Carolina, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Miami, and Florida State before he chose Florida. 

"I'm going to Florida because it's my dream school. I've always wanted to go to Florida," Lyons told Gators Territory. "Just having the opportunity to go there to continue my athletics and my academics made it even better and an easier choice for me.”

Florida head coach Dan Mullen and defensive line coach David Turner have been linked to heavily pursuing Lyons since his recruitment opened.  

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound Lyons has proven himself to be a disruptive force, recording 51 tackles, eight sacks, two pass deflections, and a forced fumble through five games with the Hawks. 

Lyons is a 4-star prospect and the 36th-ranked defensive tackle in the country, according to Rivals.com. He plans to officially sign with the team in December and enroll on campus next summer. 

Contact Brian Olmo at bolmo@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter at @BrianOlmo0211.