Jud Fabian drafted 67th by Baltimore Orioles

Fabian recorded 20 homers in back-to-back seasons

<p>Jud Fabian was selected 67th overall by the Baltimore Orioles Sunday.</p>

Jud Fabian was selected 67th overall by the Baltimore Orioles Sunday.

The latest Gator to receive a call from the 2022 MLB Draft is center fielder Jud Fabian.

Sterlin Thompson and Hunter Barco went off the board earlier Sunday night, heading to Colorado and Pittsburgh, respectively. But it was the Baltimore Orioles who selected Fabian with the 67th overall pick.

Fabian returned to Gainesville for one more year after declining a contract from the Boston Red Sox, who drafted Fabian 40th in the 2021 MLB Draft. The year gave him a chance to play with his brother, Deric, but his reasons to return stretched further than blood. Fabian looked to improve his plate discipline, and the effort paid off.

He recorded 10 less strikeouts in 2022 than 2021 in nine more at-bats and increased his walk total from 40 to 62. While Fabian worked on his plate discipline, his power didn’t skip a beat. The Ocala native rocketed 24 homers in his final UF campaign, a record-setting accomplishment. He is the only Gator to ever record back-to-back seasons with more than 20 homers.

Fabian recorded a perfect fielding rating in the Condron Ballpark outfield. His fielding and batting combined made him into the type of player the Orioles were seeking in the second round. His slot value is listed at more than $1 million.

Contact Carson Cashion at ccashion@alligator.org. Follow him on Twitter @CarsonCashion

Carson Cashion

Carson Cashion is a third-year sports journalism major at UF, and the sports editor at The Alligator for the 2022 summer semester. A native of Altamonte Springs, Carson spends his free time walking his dog, Baxter, and listening to good music. He is an avid Tennessee sports fan, and eagerly awaits watching one of his teams win a championship for the first time.