DeSantis administration mandates audit of Florida universities’ gender-affirming care

Report due Feb. 10 at governor’s office request

FILE - Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis speaks after being sworn in to begin his second term during an inauguration ceremony outside the Old Capitol on Jan. 3, 2023, in Tallahassee, Fla. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky, File)

A new request from Gov. Ron DeSantis’ office has landed at Florida universities’ doorsteps, this time concerning procedures and services dealing with gender-affirming care on campus.

The memo, issued by Chris Spencer, director of the office on policy and budget on behalf of  DeSantis, requests the number of students who received various types of gender-affirming care at campus facilities.

“Our office has learned that several state universities provide services to persons suffering from gender dysphoria,” Spencer wrote in the memo. “On behalf of the Governor, I hereby request that you respond to the enclosed inquiries related to such services.”

Information requested includes the number of people diagnosed with gender identity disorders, those prescribed hormones and those who underwent various gender-affirming surgeries, as well as their ages, just to name a few. It also asks for the number of those who received any degree of mental health counseling prior to their services.

UF spokesperson Cynthia Roldan confirmed to The Alligator that the university has received the request and is collecting information.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Alissa at agary@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @AlissaGary1.

Alissa Gary

Alissa is a sophomore journalism major and University Editor at The Alligator. She has previously covered student government, university administration and K-12 education. In her free time, she enjoys showing photos of her cats to strangers.