Florida softball sweeps past Stetson with a three-run victory

Echols achieved her ninth multi-hit game of the year

Florida third baseman Charla Echols stands on a base in the Gators' win against the Central Florida Knights Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

Sophomore infielder Reagan Walsh doubled to left field and brought home Florida’s first two runs of the game for Florida. Junior shortstop Skylar Wallace and junior outfielder Katie Kistler scored to give UF its first lead of the game. 

The Gators then scored two more runs in the top of the sixth. 

The No. 8 Florida Gators (23-5, 2-1 SEC) beat the Stetson Hatters (17-13,1-2 ASUN) 4-1 Wednesday evening in Patricia Wilson Field. 

Hatters freshman right-handed pitcher Hannah Marien started in the circle for Stetson. UF graduate student third baseman Charla Echols singled through the left side for the first hit of the game for Florida. 

The Gators failed to score Echols to end the top half of the first. 

Gators sophomore right-handed pitcher Lexi Delbrey started on the mound for Florida — her eighth start this season. Delbrey and the Gators' defense held the Hatters scoreless to end the first inning. 

Graduate student utility player Pal Egan reached on an infield single and advanced to second after sophomore catcher Sam Roe hit a sacrifice bunt. Florida failed to drive home the runs, however. Stetson was left scoreless to end the bottom half of the inning. 

Marien retired the side in order 1-2-3 after Wallace and Walsh struck out swinging to end the top of the third. Delbrey ended the inning with her ninth out against the Hatters. 

Stetson’s defense didn't allow any runs to be scored by Florida, even after Echols singled up the middle. The single marked Echols’ ninth multi-hit game of the year. 

Wallace ended the bottom of the fourth with a 5-6-3 putout play to Echols and junior first baseman Avery Goelz to keep Stetson off the board.

Kistler singled to shortstop and advanced to third after Wallace doubled to center field. Walsh doubled to left field and brought Wallace and Kistler home to give Florida a 2-0 lead to end the top of the fifth.

Delbrey ended the bottom of the fifth with her fifth consecutive 1-2-3 inning.

Gators freshman right-handed pitcher Olivia Gigante doubled to right center, and redshirt senior utility player Brynn Thomas pinch-ran for Gigante. Egan walked and advanced Thomas to third after Roe hit a sacrifice bunt.

Freshman infielder Kaila Pollard brought Thomas and Egan home after she singled to right center to extend Florida's lead to 4-0 to end the top of the sixth. Delbrey retired the Hatters in the bottom of the frame in just four pitches. 

The Gators did not score any runs in the top of the seventh. However, Hatters junior Evette Morgan homered to left field for Stetson's only run of the game. 

Florida ended the game with a three-run lead, 4-1. 

UF is set to play Arkansas Friday in Bogle Park to begin its weekend series against the Razorbacks. The game will be streamed on ESPN+. 

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr.

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.