Monday, March 18, 2024

Gators softball pitcher Lexi Delbrey announces transfer portal entry

Delbrey recorded a 2.63 ERA and 171 strikeouts in two seasons at UF

Florida pitcher Lexie Delbrey throws the ball during the Gators' 8-7 win over the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday, April 15, 2023.

Florida sophomore right-handed pitcher Lexi Delbrey announced her entry into the transfer portal on Twitter Wednesday.

Delbrey concluded her sophomore season with the Gators’ after the team lost to the No. 9 seed Stanford Cardinal in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Regionals May 21.

The sophomore joined the Gators in 2022, making 34 appearances and 25 starts as a freshman. In her first start for UF against Michigan February 12, 2022  she recorded a complete-game shutout allowing just one hit. 

Florida head coach Tim Walton brought Delbrey in during Southeastern Conference play halfway through the season — where she secured her season-high of eight strikeouts in a single game against the Auburn Tigers. 

In her two seasons at Florida, recorded a .850 fielding average with a 2.63 earned run average and 171 strikeouts.

The Gators currently have three possible pitchers slated for the 2023-2024 roster: Rylee Trlicek, who could return with one more year of eligibility, and incoming freshmen Ava Brown and Keagan Rothrock.

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.