Florida softball announces Chelsey Dobbins as new pitching coach

Dobbins spent her past eight seasons with North Carolina

No. 6 Florida was shut down by Texas A&M Saturday afternoon, 5-0.

Florida softball head coach Tim Walton announced the latest addition to the Gators coaching staff, Chelsey Dobbins, Saturday afternoon. 

Dobbins will lead the pitching staff for Florida in the 2024 season after the decision to replace former assistant coach Mike Bosch was announced June 8. 

“When I began the search process, it was very clear to me who I wanted to lead our pitching staff, design game plans, and execute pitch calling for our program,” Walton said. 

Dobbins joins the Gators after coaching at North Carolina for the last eight years. She was initially hired to lead the pitching staff in September 2015. 

She was  promoted to Associate Head Coach in 2018. 

At UNC, she led the Tar Heels’ pitching staff to multiple National Fastpitch Coaches Association and Atlantic Coast Conference honors. 

“Chelsey’s passion, work ethic and experience mentoring young pitchers has her ready to accept the challenge of leading our pitching staff back to the Women’s College World Series,” Walton said. 

Dobbins had a notable collegiate career at the University of Illinois-Chicago. She led the team to its eighth NCAA tournament appearance in 2004. She transferred to West Valley College before her sophomore year.  She was named the NorCal Girls Softball Association Pitcher of the Year for her 22 wins and 0.54 ERA.

“I would like to thank Coach Walton for the invitation to be part of his staff and trusting me to lead the pitching staff to new heights,” Dobbins said. “I am thrilled to start on this path to getting Gator softball to another national championship.”

Contact Alyssa Britton-Harr at abritton-harr@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @abrittonharr

Alyssa Britton-Harr

Alyssa Britton-Harr is a second-year journalism major and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys cheering on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and spending time with her friends.