Florida softball records 18th run-rule victory of the season against Stetson

The Gators hit three home runs in the win

Florida infielder Reagan Walsh swings her bat during the Gators' 3-0 win against the Central Florida Knights Wednesday, March 8, 2023.

After a tough shutout road loss to No.15 Alabama Monday night, the Gators bounced back with 11 runs on 11 hits Wednesday night.

In the bottom of the second, junior third baseman Reagan Walsh smashed a solo home run over right-center field to put the Gators up 5-1.

With two outs, Walsh launched another solo home run over the left field fence to extend the lead to 8-2. Her teammates celebrated with her at home plate as she recorded her eighth home run of the season.

Senior right fielder Katie Kistler added a three-run blast in the fourth inning  to right center field. The crowd gave her a standing ovation as Kistler put the Gators in run-rule territory.

The offense and pitching staff helped lead the No.10 Gators (22-4, 2-1 SEC) to an 11-2 victory over the Stetson Hatters (9-16) at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Ava Brown started in the circle for Florida but had trouble finding early success. In the first inning with bases loaded and one out, Stetson delivered a sacrifice flyout to score the first run.

Florida responded in the bottom of the first with a two-out double by junior left fielder Korbe Otis. Then, sophomore catcher Jocelyn Erickson smashed an RBI single to tie the game at 1-1.

The bottom of the second was highlighted by back-to-back doubles from Kistler and redshirt senior shortstop Skylar Wallace. Kistler’s double brought home two while Wallace scored Kistler.

Florida fell into trouble at the top of the fourth when Stetson senior second baseman Evette Morgan drove a single into right field to score one. 

With one out and runners at the corners, Brown bounced back and delivered a rise ball to record the second out. Then, Walsh caught a line drive hit at third base to end the frame.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Keagan Rothrock subbed in to close out the fifth inning and retired the side 1-2-3 with a pair of strikeouts.

Next, the Gators will host the Mercer Bears Friday at home. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.

Contact Hailey Hurst at hhurst@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @haileyjhurst.

Hailey Hurst

Hailey Hurst is a second-year journalism major with a focus in sports media and a sports reporter for The Alligator. In her free time, she enjoys going to the beach and cheering for Miami sports teams.