crime tape
crime tape

Multiple law enforcement agencies spent Tuesday morning tracking down teenagers who are suspected in four car burglaries and two car thefts.

The owners both reported their cars stolen shortly before 8 a.m. Both cars were unlocked with the keys inside, according to a press release from Gainesville Police.

One was a Mini Cooper that was reportedly stolen from Azalea Park Apartments, located on Southeast Second Street, and the other was a 2016 Scion taken from Northwest 22nd Place, according to the press release.

Later that morning, the underage suspects allegedly crashed both cars and fled on foot from an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputy. By 10 a.m., GPD, ASO and Florida Highway Patrol were on scene by South US 441 and Wacahoota Road.

The agencies were looking for four to five suspects, according to a GPD press release. Only one suspect was initially found and in custody.

ASO charged 15-year-old Dakwan Perry with fleeing and eluding police, while GPD has charged him with grand theft auto. Perry was reportedly transported to the juvenile detention center after refusing to cooperate with investigators.

According to a press release, Perry has several grand theft auto and burglary charges from the past two years.

Later that afternoon, ASO located three more suspects: Tydarious Sheppard, Kiondre Ford and Eric Ricks.

Fourteen-year-old Sheppard reportedly had an outstanding warrant for felony battery and a criminal history from when he was 10 years old.

Fifteen-year-old Ford had a history of burglary and stolen vehicles. According to a press release, charges for burglary and grand theft auto are possible for both suspects.

Ricks, the third suspect found Tuesday afternoon, may have been the driver of one of the cars from Tuesday morning and reportedly suffered a seatbelt injury.

Ricks, 16, also had a history of stolen cars. According to a press release, Ricks will receive a sworn complaint for grand theft auto from GPD.

The four teenagers may also be responsible for four car burglaries that occurred overnight Monday, according to the press release. Investigation into the six vehicles, stolen or burglarized, is ongoing.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter at @jesscurbelo and contact him at jcurbelo@alligator.org.