crime
crime

A Waldo man has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run crash on Oct. 16 that killed one teenager and left another critically injured.

Florida Highway Patrol troopers arrested 24-year-old Brandon Holt Thursday evening in Hawthorne, according to the arrest report. He was arrested just a few hours after a candlelight service was held in Micanopy for Hannah Brown, the Micanopy 14-year-old that died from the incident.

Holt’s vehicle, a white 1996 Ford F-250, was seized shortly before his arrest, according to the arrest report.

Holt was traveling eastbound on County Road 346 on Oct. 16 while three teenagers were walking in the same direction in the westbound lane, according to a press release from the Florida Highway Patrol. For unknown reasons, his truck veered into the westbound lane and struck two of three pedestrians from the rear.

Holt briefly stopped and stepped out of the vehicle before fleeing the scene, according to the release.

Brown was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash, and Madison Bass, 14, of Hawthorne was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital in critical condition.

Michael Germond, 13, was the third teenager involved in the hit-and-run. He had no injuries.

Holt is being held without bail at the Alachua County Jail as of Friday afternoon on charges of leaving the scene of a crash involving serious injury or death and tampering with evidence.