Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Student Body President Ian Green's family to donate $100,000

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-d9f5c01a-acfa-623d-593d-6a80ec422f71"><span>Ian Green</span></span></p>

Ian Green

The parents of UF’s Student Body President Ian Green will give $100,000 for scholarships.

Val and Vince Green will donate the money to the UF Foundation, Val Green, 55, said. The money will be donated on behalf of and for the benefit of the UF Association of Black Alumni, she said.

An initial donation of $75,000 was made Nov. 1, she said. The family will donate $25,000 in the next three years.

“The University of Florida contributed greatly to our success in life,” Val Green said. “So we wanted to contribute to future Gators’ success in a meaningful way.”

The money will fund scholarships for UF sophomores, juniors and seniors who excel in academics and leadership, she said. This will aid students who may be running low on scholarship funds.

Ian Green’s parents taught him to be a Gator and the importance of giving back, he wrote in an email.

Green said there is a need to support black students right now at UF. The number of black students enrolled at UF has dropped since his parents were students.

“I believe that giving back is always a positive,” Ian Green said. “Donations like this support existing students at a time when some of their initial scholarship funds may have ended and again reinforces the need for all Gators to pay it forward so we can all go greater.”

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney

Ian Green