Tuesday, March 19, 2024

About 42,000 high school students applied to UF this year, breaking last year’s record of about 41,000 applicants.

Anthony Nasnas, a 17-year-old senior at Lake Brantley High School in central Florida, hopes his SAT score of 1410 and GPA of 4.5 will get him admitted.

“The school is now one of the top 10 public universities,” he said. “It will be at an even higher standard by the time I graduate.”

For those who will receive news of their acceptances on Feb. 8, academic profiles are similar to that of last year’s incoming class, which had an average GPA of 4.4 and SAT scores of 1364, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando wrote in an email. About 14,800 students will be admitted, similar to last year.The admissions office doesn’t look only at grades and test scores to determine entry but also whether students take difficult courses and demonstrate leadership qualities, Orlando said.

In Fall 2017, UF received more than 34,000 applications and admitted 13,214 applicants. Last Fall, the university received 40,849 applications and admitted 14,866 applicants.

Every year the bar for admissions goes up, but it’s nice to see fresh faces on campus, UF President Kent Fuchs said.

“There’s a sense of renewal, and all of us that work here – faculty and staff – look forward to each time a new entering class arrives,” Fuchs said.