Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

The UF Student Government Judiciary Committee failed half the legislation members debated Sunday.

The committee deliberated over four resolutions — nonbinding written statements — before failing two at its morning meeting in the Reitz Union. Of the resolutions that failed, one was written to support students with young children, and the other asked for support in optional class attendance on Election Day on Nov. 6, according to the resolutions.

Not all resolutions failed. One acknowledging the financial needs of survivors from Hurricane Maria passed and will likely be heard at the Student Senate Tuesday. Another supporting sexual assault victims will likely be revisited.

One failed resolution asked UF to subsidize the cost of Baby Gator, a UF-associated day care service.

Subsidies refer to money used to reduce the cost a consumer pays for goods or services, Sen. Graham Boone (Impact, Business Administration) said. The resolution didn’t indicate where UF should find this funding.

“There’s still the issue of where this funding’s gonna come from,” Boone said. “I don’t know that there is necessarily a quick answer.”

Another attempt to pass a resolution to make class attendance optional on Election Day failed. Students should have time to vote with early voting in the Reitz Union, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Will Sandifer (Impact, Sophomore) said.

“I think that it’s on the voter to want to go vote, and it’s not on us to make them go vote,” Sandifer said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney