The internet is divided yet again, but this time it’s a battle between generations. It’s the old vs. new, or, millennials vs. boomers.

The conflict itself isn’t complicated, but what actually defines someone as a boomer or a millennial is a bit blurry because people are put into categories simply because of their age.

Baby boomers, individuals born between 1946-1964, are calling millennials ageist. “OK Boomer,” a meme that quickly dismisses some of the concerns of the generation, has grown in popularity and is widely used by younger generations. The stereotypical boomer tends to have more conservative ideologies and fails to match the current times, or basically go against the stereotypical millennial. 

Millennials, those born between 1981-1996, are frustrated with the older generation and their inability to change. Alongside the meme, millennials flooded Twitter with “advice” for boomers on Tuesday, addressing popular complaints boomers tend to have against the younger generation.

With boomers complaining about millennials ruining the things they love, and millennials complaining about boomers ruining pretty much everything in the past, it’s hard to believe they would have anything in common. 

Turns out, they actually do. 

Both generations have a higher approval rating for former President Barack Obama’s administration than President Donald Trump’s. Of course, the difference in approval between the two administrations is higher with Millennials (64 percent vs. 27 percent) than Boomers (54 percent vs. 44 percent), but it’s still nice to know both groups can at least (slightly) agree that our current president isn’t qualified for his job. 

However, this isn’t the only thing the two groups have in common. Many boomers were fighting for the same issues that millennials wish for today. 

Boomers were activists, too. Some of them are even in the presidential race now.

Both California Sen. Kamala Harris and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren are considered boomers, but you don’t see their ideas being shot down by millennials.

The issue between the two generations doesn’t lie within the American age gap, but rather, the dominant political ideologies of each generation. It seems like the younger you are, the more democratic your vote is. Interesting enough, the Washington Post states this trend coincides due to the appeal of the Obama administration — and Obama just so happens to be a boomer. Not every boomer is a conservative, and not every millennial is a liberal. 

Tomi Lahren, Elliot Echols and Saira Blair are just a few examples of highly influential,  conservative millennials who have values that match the typical boomer. 

The generation you are born into isn’t the biggest factor determining your political viewpoints. At least when you are young, your family tends to be your biggest influencer. 

Millennials might not be able to change the viewpoint of boomers, but at least they have the ability to change the mindsets of the generation coming after them.

The Editorial Board consists of Zora Viel, Opinions Editor; Amanda Rosa, Editor-in Chief; Kelly Hayes, Digital Managing Editor; and Tranelle Maner, Engagement Managing Editor.