Feleipe Franks

Feleipe Franks

Former Gators quarterback Feleipe Franks is making a move to the SEC West.

Franks announced Monday night on Instagram that he is transferring to Arkansas by simply writing “New Beginnings” with an edited photo of him in a Razorbacks uniform.

On Dec. 1, he posted a photo on Instagram that said, “I plan on exploring my options of entering the NFL Draft or playing my final year elsewhere.”

Seven weeks later and Franks has made his move to the SEC West, adding to the division’s active offseason which saw its top two quarterbacks declare for the draft in Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa and a slew of coaching hires, including Sam Pittman at Arkansas. Pittman was previously the associate head coach and offensive line coach at Georgia. His hiring at Arkansas was announced a week after Franks’ original Instagram post that said he was leaving Florida.

Franks’ time at UF saw the highs of a dominant Peach Bowl win over Michigan in a year that he started all 13 games and the lows of a four-win campaign in which he shared time under center. He finished his career as a Gator with 4,593 passing yards, 38 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and an additional 438 yards and eight touchdowns on the ground.

He started the first three games of the 2019 season for Florida, leading the team to a 2-0 record before he dislocated his ankle with a fracture in the third quarter against Kentucky. He missed the remainder of the season, and backup quarterback Kyle Trask took over the starting job and led the team to an 11-win season.

Franks is joining an Arkansas program that won just eight games in the past three seasons, going 2-10 in 2018 and 2019 and finishing at the bottom of the SEC both years. Nick Starkel was the Razorbacks’ leading passer this season, appearing in eight games and throwing for over 1,100 yards, seven touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Barring a highly unlikely Florida-Arkansas SEC Championship Game, Franks will not face off against his former team, as the Gators and Razorbacks do not play until 2023.

Follow Kyle on Twitter @Kkylewood and contact him at [email protected].

Kyle Wood is the sports editor of The Alligator. He previously covered football, baseball and men's and women's tennis. He is also the Gators correspondent for the Orlando Sentinel. This is Kyle's fourth semester at The Alligator.