Johnson will return for 2020-21 season

Keyontae Johnson
Keyontae Johnson

Florida forward Keyontae Johnson, the team’s leading scorer from the 2019-20 season, announced he'll be returning for his junior season on Tuesday.

This announcement comes just eight days after guard Scottie Lewis announced his plans to return to UF for next season.

"I can't wait to get back and play with my brothers next season," Johnson tweeted. "We’ve got unfinished business and the Gators will be ready to go. I’m excited to keep growing on and off the court with coach White and our coaching staff here and keep playing in front of the Gator family."

Johnson, an All-SEC First Team member from this past season, averaged a team-high 14 points per game to go along with 7.1 rebounds per game.

The sophomore shot 54 percent from the floor, including 38 percent from beyond the arc, while playing just over 31 minutes per contest for UF.

The four-man's versatility gave Florida's opponents difficulties all of last season and now the Gators have the luxury of returning one of the best forwards in all of college basketball back to the starting lineup in 2020-21.

With the news from Lewis and Johnson, the only Gator left to proclaim his standing for next season is guard Andrew Nembhard.

Nembhard had a solid sophomore season (11.2 PPG and 5.6 APG), but his efforts weren't enough to position himself as a lock to be drafted.

The coronavirus has made things difficult for players like Nembhard to catch the attention of NBA scouts, and there's uncertainty about the remainder of the NBA season and thus, the draft. With the possibility of no face-to-face interaction, team workouts, or NBA Combine in the coming months due to all of the social distancing orders that are currently in effect, the 6-foot-5 Canadian may decide to return as well, despite his decision to test the NBA waters a year ago.