<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-5ce05b93-7fff-67f3-2e3b-8ac6f03e88df"><span>UF receiver Kadarius Toney scored on a 66-yard pass against Miami.</span></span></p>

UF receiver Kadarius Toney scored on a 66-yard pass against Miami.

The stakes for Florida’s home opener against Tennesse-Martin are drastically different from those surrounding its season opener two weeks ago. But the importance of what is essentially a tuneup game against an FCS opponent cannot be understated after the Gators’ blunders in their win over Miami.

The Skyhawks visiting Gainesville for a matchup against No. 11 UF presents the Gators with a unique opportunity to prove their dominance after sliding three spots in the latest AP Top 25 Poll and to refine their game plan ahead of the upcoming SEC slate.

UT Martin (1-0) is coming off a 2-9 season but was victorious last week against Northwestern State. The Skyhawks’ 42 points were more than they posted in any single game in 2018. The bulk of that offense came in the ground game, as UT Martin rushed the ball 35 times for 179 yards and two scores.

Junior running back Peyton Logan accounted for both of the team’s rushing touchdowns and all but 30 of its rushing yards. Logan also broke off a game-high 53-yard carry for a score, exhibiting his explosiveness.

Florida (1-0) struggled to establish the run against UM’s defense two weeks ago, gaining just 50 yards on 28 carries. The team’s struggles on the ground are evidenced by punter Tommy Townsend being the team’s third-leading rusher with a whopping six yards on a fake punt. Townsend accounted for more rushing yards than both Dameon Pierce (2) and Malik Davis (-9).

The UT Martin defense yielded just under 100 rushing yards in its season opener and presents much less of a challenge in its front seven than the Hurricanes did, so the Gators’ rushing attack should bounce back this week.

UF’s junior quarterback Feleipe Franks relied on two passing plays of more than 60 yards for more than half of his 254 passing yards against UM. The Skyhawks, once again, have a more porous secondary than Florida’s first opponent.

UT Martin let up 387 yards through the air against Northwestern State. It also allowed four of its opponents’ receivers to catch at least five passes. Granted, Shelton Eppler, Northwestern State’s senior quarterback, slung the ball 62 times, but Franks will likely find success against the Skyhawks’ secondary and get more of his receivers involved in the offense than he did (or was able to) in Week 0.

Florida receivers Van Jefferson, Trevon Grimes, Tyrie Cleveland and Kadarius Toney each had one catch against Miami. Expect that number to rise across the board, as well as the number of catches and amount of playing time for some less experienced wideouts if the game indeed becomes a blowout, which most points spreads indicate it may well be.

This game presents a chance for the Gators to prove their worth among college football’s elite and do what Power 5 programs are supposed to do in games like this: beat down on their lesser opponents, execute well and incorporate second and third stringers.

Follow Kyle Wood on Twitter @Kkylewood. Contact him at kwood@alligator.org.