Monday, April 29, 2024

Laidback Luke brings Speak Up tour to Gainesville

<p align="justify">Laidback Luke, or Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen, will be in town on March 27.</p>

Laidback Luke, or Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen, will be in town on March 27.

Best known for his energy-filled remixes and performances, Laidback Luke will perform at the Vault Nightclub on March 27, showcasing his new Speak Up North American bus tour, featuring Wynter Gordon.

Laidback Luke, Lucas Cornelis van Scheppingen, released his new single, “Speak Up!” on March 12 through Beatport and will release it on March 27 through all other mediums.

He also released another song called “Turbulence” with Steve Aoki, featuring Lil John. It already has more than 13 million views on YouTube.

According to van Scheppingen, this is his first time doing such a large-scale bus tour.

“It will be a whole new experience for me. It’s more of the rock style of touring, while I normally just tour as a DJ, which is more focused on taking flights and doing high-end clubs,” van Scheppingen said.

He said he is expecting the unexpected of this tour.

“I’m tapping into a whole new market I’ve never done before, which is the college market. All new everything — let’s go!” he said.

Doors open at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20 online at www.wantickets.com/Events/103164/Laidback-Luke/.

Q&A with Laidback Luke

Q: You have a large fan base, especially on Twitter. What are some of the greatest tweets you’ve gotten? Or any memorable tweets in general?

A: “Oh wow, such a great question! I get about 1,500 mentions a day, so it’s hard for me to remember. One the other week I thought was fun was ‘Luke is so laid-back, he can ride a segway sideways’.”

Q: You were born in the Philippines but raised in the Netherlands. What do you consider yourself culturally? What languages do you speak?

A: “It’s weird because in the Netherlands, I get to be seen as an Asian while in the Philippines, they consider me Western. I do see myself as a half Asian. A lot of my business and down-to-earth side comes from being Dutch, though. My dreamy side and my entertainment side comes from being Filipino. My main language is Dutch. My English is getting very Americanized by my New York fiancee at the moment. I speak a bit of Tagalog, French, German and Spanish.”

Q: What can you not travel without?

A: “I couldn’t travel without my Macbook. It’s my studio, and I basically do everything that has to do with what I do on there.”

Q: In a recording studio, which instrument best represents your personality?

A: “Onstage, that would be the air piano. I often use one with big paddles that fit all of my hand on one note. My air instruments are pretty on-point.

I’m still learning the air trumpet, though. In a recording studio, I would love to be the compressor, as I like having things sound pumped and as fat as possible.”

Q: I really like your new club concept of “Super You & Me.” What inspired it?

A: “Thanks! ‘Super You & Me’ is all about having crazy fun. Especially in Europe, EDM (electromic dance music) tends to be taken way too seriously.

This, while the most fun you will have is doing crazy things and having stupid jokes with your friends.

To me, not only the DJ should be the superhero, but the crowd as well. That epic feeling of having your hands up in the air and letting go, the feeling you can take on the world, is that superhero feeling. Dressing up adds a lot to the fun and the experience as well!”

Q: Which superheroes have you dressed as? Have there been any fan costumes that stand out in your memory?

A: “So you don’t need to necessarily dress up like a superhero. You can be anyone you like! I have dressed up as Neo, Ryu, Optimus Prime, Black Spiderman, Mixmash Man, Laidback Luke the Superhero and even as an Angry Bird. It’s all about the fun! The crowd comes with crazy costumes, too. I remember one that actually had a robot costume on, like from a Hollywood studio. Looked incredible!”

Q: Will this be your first time playing at the Ultra Music Festival in Miami? Are you excited to be there this year?

A: “No, this will be my third time, and yes, I’m very excited! The vibe at Ultra Music Festival is always incredible. The energy is ridiculous. Looking forward to it a lot!”

Q: What’s the first thing you do after walking off stage after a performance?

A: “I usually take photos or sign autographs. I think that it’s very important to take time out for the people that support you.”

Q: Do you have any preshow rituals?

A: “Not really. I always come into the zone when I unpack my headphones and get my in-ear gear ready just before I go on.”

Q: How did you switch from being a popular graffiti artist to an internationally known DJ?

A: “Wow, well I was never that popular, though! I was just a teenager. I see my music as my graffiti now. I set myself a goal and worked incredibly hard to get there. It took quite some sacrifice and points of almost giving up but I hung in there. The hard working never stops, though. Even at this level it’s all about keeping up. It’s a dream come true, though. I’m very lucky and grateful I can do this!”

Q: Are there any projects that you’re looking forward to starting when you’re done touring?

A: “The thing with me is that I’m always busy with projects while I’m on the go. So it’s basically a constant flow of new projects and material that will come out. I have lots of big things lined up for the coming year. It’s looking to be an exciting 2012!”