Gainesville will become a field of opportunity for garden growers and lovers alike at the second annual Organic Food and Farming Summit from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Friday and from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

The summit, located at the UF Hilton Conference Center, is held to provide a space for farmers, gardeners, educators, students, advocates and exhibitors to engage in a discussion on organic agriculture. Throughout the weekend, attendees will have the opportunity to experience workshops, farm tours and a presentation from the keynote speaker.

The organization’s website describes the event as, “an opportunity for beginning and seasoned organic farmers and producers to learn and share with others growing in tropical and sub-tropical conditions and seasons.”

Florida Organic Growers is a nonprofit organization that began with the mission to be involved in the governmental regulation of organic food and farming. For the last 30 years, FOG stays active in the community and government to ensure a secure organic environment.

FOG continues to be very active in policy, including continuing development of food safety standards as well as developing and implementing farm bill programs.

Summit attendees can go to workshops including PSA food safety training, financial literacy for growers, recordkeeping and connecting food, justice and organic as well as local food tours.

Workshop events and speakers will continue throughout Saturday including a keynote address by Benny and Ben McLean of Uncle Matt's Organics "Finished But Just Beginning.”

Interested individuals can still register to attend the summit and find further scheduling details on the official website at organicfoodandfarmingsummit.org.