• December 19, 2014

Mayor Craig Lowe released from jail, issues statement on DUI arrest

Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:38 am | Updated: 7:33 pm, Thu Mar 21, 2013.

Gainesville mayor Craig Lowe issued a statement regarding his DUI arrest.

"I apologize for the harm that this situation has caused to my friends, supporters and the citizens of Gainesville," it read. "I feel that it's important to set the record straight. In the coming days, additional facts will come to light, and I believe that I will (be) found not guilty in this case."

Lowe was released from the Alachua County Jail at about 4:15 p.m. on his own recognizance.

In the statement, Lowe said he's thankful no one was hurt.

He continued, "I'm deeply sorry to anyone who feels I have violated the trust placed in me as an elected official. Moving forward, I will work hard to regain your confidence and trust. I look forward to getting back to work for the people of Gainesville.”

FHP trooper Javon Murphy arrested Lowe on charges of DUI and property damage after they discovered him in his car on the shoulder near the intersection of Northeast 21st Street and Northeast 156th Avenue just after 4 a.m. Thursday, according to an FHP arrest report.

Lowe showed signs of intoxication, and his 2005 Honda Civic was damaged. Evidence showed that Lowe hit a Florida Department of Transportation sign on the shoulder, according to the report.

Lowe told Murphy he crashed because he fell asleep while driving and admitted to drinking three beers earlier in the night, according to the report.

He performed poorly on a field sobriety test, according to the report, and was arrested for DUI just before 5 a.m. Troopers booked him into the jail at about 6:30 a.m.

Lowe took a breath test when he arrived at the jail. His blood alcohol content levels were .069 and .061. However, Murphy determined that Lowe’s BAC was above .08 at the time of the crash, which happened at 2:20 a.m., according to the report.

City of Gainesville spokesman Bob Woods issued a statement regarding Lowe’s arrest.

“The immediate concern is the mayor's well-being,” the statement read. “We are continuing to monitor events and will have no further comment on the circumstances related to the incident or the incident itself until the Florida Highway Patrol completes its investigation and official report.”

Lowe is currently running for re-election against Ed Braddy in the April 16 mayoral runoff. Braddy was charged with DUI in 2006, according to public records.

Contact Kathryn Varn at [email protected].

7 comments:

• Electron Cloud posted at 9:07 pm on Mon, Mar 25, 2013.

Electron Cloud Posts: 7

No worries--with his connections, he'll beat the rap. Just make a couple of calls, twist a few arms.

• Romulan posted at 5:21 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 491

He was probably at a bar and was forced to leave at 2am, 15 minutes after last call.

If the bars could stay open an hour or two later (after last call), this likely would not have happened at all.

• formergator posted at 3:03 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

formergator Posts: 101

Man talk about a college party town, both mayoral candidates have been arrested for DUI

But as a rule of thumb Blood alcohol level drops .01/hr so I think that's what the trooper was going with to say he was likely over the limit at the time.

• MummysCurse posted at 2:31 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

l33tvoltron, the overall circumstances lead me to believe Lowe was severely impaired when he crashed. Occam's razor --> the explanation that requires the fewest assumptions is probably correct.

Nonetheless, I feel compelled to point out that there are a couple of reasons he may have had a lower BAC at the time of the crash vs. the time he took the breath test.

One is, he may have continued drinking after the crash. Not likely but possible, if he had an alcoholic beverage in the car with him. (And it sounds like Lowe wasn't under continual observation after the crash)

Another is, if he'd pounded a large quantity of alcohol shortly before the crash, his blood alcohol content may have continued to rise afterward, even if he didn't continue drinking. Again, not likely but possible.

• l33tvoltron posted at 1:08 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

l33tvoltron Posts: 74

Darn Voice to text .. Genus = Genius

• l33tvoltron posted at 12:52 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

l33tvoltron Posts: 74

He blew that 3 hours after the crash. You don't have to be a genus to know that if you blow a .69 and a .61 3 hours after the incident that your BAC was higher. But of course people will make excuses for him and vote him back into office just because he lives an "Alternative lifestyle". While there is nothing wrong with his personal choices that is not a good reason to vote for a person. Just like it wouldn't be a good Idea to vote for a person because of skin color ...

• dickseamus posted at 12:38 pm on Thu, Mar 21, 2013.

dickseamus Posts: 1

"the trooper determined that Lowe’s BAC was above .08 at the time of the crash"

I don't understand, was the trooper a breathalyzer? How does a trooper "determine" with a verifiable accuracy "at the time of the crash" down to the hundredth percentile? Nowhere do you provide facts supporting the unsubstantiated claim of a BAC over the legal limit. The mayor blew a .069 and .061, those are the facts that you have, those are the facts that you print.

• Kristan Wiggins – @KristanWiggins

• Colleen Wright – @Colleen_Wright

• Bakr Saliq – @BakrSaliq

• Alexia Fernandez – @alexiafrdz

• Alyssa Fisher – @AlyssaLFisher

• Beatrice Dupuy – @Beatrice_Dupuy

• Rachel Crosby – @rachelacrosby

• Emily Cardinali – @emilycardinali

• Ellen Villafuerte – @emvillafuerte

• Cara Chiaramonte – @caraxrose