Gainesville man accused of beating and kidnapping girlfriend

A Gainesville man is accused of beating, strangling and kidnapping his girlfriend before stealing her car Wednesday.

Samuel Tobias Jemel Anderson, 22, is charged with grand theft, false imprisonment, prevention of communication with police and two counts of domestic battery.

Police gave this report:

At about 6 p.m. Tuesday, Anderson got angry at his girlfriend, Tiffany Jackson, because she talked with friends outside, and he started to punch her in the head.

The fight moved from the living room to the kitchen.

In the kitchen Anderson told her that he would kill her if she told anyone about the beating.

Then he grabbed her throat and began to squeeze.

She fell down, unconscious.

According to the report, when she woke up she said she wanted to leave.

Anderson forced her into a room and stood by the door to make sure she didn’t.

Jackson woke up Wednesday morning and used Anderson’s cellphone to call her mother for help.

When Anderson woke up and heard her on his phone saying she was calling the police, he took the phone.

Jackson ran into the bathroom and locked the door because, according to the report, she was afraid of another beating.

Anderson split the door frame as he kicked the door in.

He grabbed her hair and started punching her right eye.

After beating her until her eye swelled, Anderson put her in another room and guarded the door.

Eventually Anderson went to the bathroom, and that is when Jackson made her escape to a neighbor’s apartment.

According to the report, Artina Williams heard Jackson “frantically banging on her door for help.”

Williams let her in and locked the door.

Anderson banged on Williams’ door and demanded her to unlock it and to have Jackson come outside.

When Jackson didn’t come out, Anderson went back to their apartment, took her car keys and drove away with her car.

Anderson was arrested at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

He is currently in jail and bond is set at $85,000.

Contact Ben Brasch at bbrasch@alligator.org