Bento Cafe, Miami Grill and others to open below The Standard

Brett Dembrow looks forward to the days when he’s craving ginger chicken and can just walk downstairs to Bento Cafe.

When the UF business administration junior moved into The Standard at Gainesville in August, he assumed the businesses below would be open. Although this wasn’t the case, he’s willing to wait.

“It’ll be nice to have it right downstairs,” the 20-year-old said.

Along with Bento Cafe, other businesses including Miami Grill, Chase Bank, Chick-fil-A and Target Express will open there, said Cody Nichelson, a Landmark Properties spokesperson.

The 23,000-square-foot Target Express set to open in November will sell products for dorms and apartments and grab-and-go meals, according to its website. It will also include a CVS Pharmacy.

Chick-fil-A is on schedule to open at the end of November, wrote Chick-fil-A spokesperson Callie Bowers in an email. The store will hire 80 to 90 employees.

Chase Bank, Miami Grill and Bento Cafe could not be reached for comment.

Besides offering food and shopping, these businesses should also alleviate some frustrations The Standard residents have about parking, Dembrow said. The first four floors of the parking garage are reserved for retail and haven’t been available for use since move-in. Dembrow hopes the garage will be put to better use when the businesses open below.

Although Dembrow would’ve enjoyed the restaurants and stores when he initially moved in, he’s not upset by the delay.

“I was just happy that my actual apartment was finished,” he said.

@jessica_giles_

jgiles@alligator.org