Cannabix Technologies, a technology company based in Canada, enlisted the help of several UF scientists to develop a device that can detect THC on a person’s breath.

“The idea of the company is that, once it’s legalized, then there will be a means in place to stop drugged driving,” said Jared Boock, the project’s lead developer.

Boock, said he is excited about the new information he learns every day.

“It’s new science,” he said. “It’s never been done before.”

Ultimately, he said, the team hopes to create a handheld, portable device law enforcement can use to perform roadside drug screenings.

Driving under the influence of marijuana is similar to driving while intoxicated, creating a danger to everyone on the road, Boock said.

“For our type of instrument we’ll definitely be able to see not only is THC present, but how much as well,” he said.

Officer Ben Tobias, a spokesman for the Gainesville Police Department, said the tool would be significant for police.

Some officers undergo extensive training to become a Drug Recognition Expert, he said. Such experts can assess whether a driver is under the influence of drugs.

However, Tobias said, only two out of 302 GPD officers are DRE certified.

Although wary of the new technology, Sebastian Wharff, a 29-year-old UF architecture sophomore, said the new device could be helpful.

“If we are going to accept weed as a legal thing, there has to be restrictions on it,” he said.

Email Catherine at: cdickson@alligator.org