UF College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean steps down

Richardson will remain a faculty member of the chemistry department

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences is seen on Monday, Nov. 29, 2021.

The dean of UF’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be stepping down from his position effective June 30, according to a UF news release. 

David Richardson served as the dean of CLAS since 2015 and was responsible for several programs and initiatives across the college. He will remain as a professor and researcher for the college’s chemistry department, where he has taught for over 40 years. 

“Education isn’t a job to Dave —it’s a vocation,” wrote UF President Ben Sasse. “He cares about our students, about our faculty and about the pursuit of knowledge and beauty.”

Richardson created the CLAS Dean’s Medal, which is awarded to graduating students based on experiential education and academic risk-taking rather than grade-point average.  

He also developed the Beyond120 program, which provides professional learning opportunities that exceed the 120 credit hours needed for graduation. 

“A liberal education is about the liberty to live, learn, speak and work in a free society,” Richardson wrote. “We must protect freedom through knowledge.” 

Mary Watt, the associate dean of CLAS, has accepted the position of interim dean – effective June 30.

“I am honored to take on this enormous responsibility to so many stakeholders,” Watt said. “I am committed to carrying on the important work we do, not only for our students, but also for the people of the great state of Florida.” 

Contact Timothy Wang at wang.ttong@ufl.edu. Follow him on X @timothyw_g

Timothy Wang

Timothy Wang is a third-year journalism major and the university administration reporter for The Alligator. He likes gaming (Cyberpunk 2077 currently), reading manga and watching shows in his spare time.