The executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida will speak at UF today at 6 p.m.

The Bob Graham Center for Public Service will host Howard Simon, the executive director of the Florida ACLU, and Jon Mills, a UF law professor and director of the Center for Governmental Responsibility, for a conversation about Florida-based issues. The event will be held in the Pugh Hall Ocora.

Some of the topics planned include the restoration of voting rights for felons, public schools, immigration, the Constitution Revision Commission and LGBTQ+ equality, said TJ Pyche, the outreach and student programs coordinator at the Graham Center.

“It’s good to get his valuable perspective,” Pyche said.

Simon supervises the organization’s programs including lobbying, membership, fundraising and public education.

Pyche said all of the topics Simon will discuss are things the ACLU and the citizens of the state of Florida are dealing with.

Philip Blake Layton, a UF political science senior, said he is eager to hear Simon speak about the effort to restore voting rights for felons because the ACLU has been a major proponent of the issue.

“I expect to receive some expert insight on some of the pressing legal issues in the state and our country from both Howard Simon and Jon Mills,” the 23-year-old said. “The Graham Center is consistent on having exemplary events that highlight important issues in the state.”