<p>Penn</p>

Penn

Actor, comedian and former White House employee Kal Penn will speak at UF later this month.

Accent Speakers Bureau is bringing Penn, known for his work in the Harold and Kumar comedy film series and his former role as White House Associate Director of Public Engagement, will be paid $65,000 to speak, Accent chairwoman Shelby Buchanan wrote in an email.

Penn will speak on Oct. 11 in the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, with the show beginning at 8 p.m. and doors opening at 7 p.m. Student can pick up two tickets with a Gator 1 Card on Oct. 10.

“This year, we're really interested in finding speakers who have amazing stories to tell who will still appeal to as many students as possible,” Buchanan said. “Kal's acting experience and time spent in the White House are a unique combination, and we're very excited to hear him share his experiences.”

Buchanan said Penn will participate in an hour-long discussion and a student question and answer session.

Dustin Tyson, a UF history junior, said he’s excited to hear from Penn as a fellow comedian. Tyson does stand-up comedy at The Midnight and Rocky’s Piano Bar.

Tyson said he’s seen Penn’s movies and thought they were funny, but isn’t sure what to expect at the event.

“Some of the people are just actor types and not that funny when you go see them in person,” the 21-year-old said.

Penn