In an effort to spark a discussion about conservative values, UF’s Young Americans for Freedom hosted former U.S. Treasurer Angela “Bay” Buchanan for a speech that brought out more than 80 students.

The event cost $3,000 to host and was sponsored by the Young America’s Foundation and the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, said Daniel Weldon, the president of the UF chapter of Young Americans for Freedom.

The discussion, which was held in Turlington Hall on Tuesday night, motivated students on the left and the right to discuss Buchanan’s views on abortion, the pro-life movement and feminism.

Most of Buchanan’s hour-long speech was about feminism. Buchanan said she felt victimized by feminists when she became a single mom.

“I went from being strong and capable, according to the feminists, to being less able as a single mom,” Buchanan said.

Weldon, a UF political science and history junior, said abortion and feminism are some of the most discussed topics on college campuses.

Before the speech, signs promoting the event were taken down by passers-by.

“Clearly through all the protests and destruction of our signs and the erasing of our chalk and people that have been cursing us, you can tell that people aren’t used to having this conversation,” the 21-year-old said.

Mariam Mohamed, a UF women’s studies junior, said Buchanan was hypocritical because she deflected many questions.

“I feel like she isn’t practicing what she preaches,” the 19-year-old said.

@Christina_M18

cmorales@alligator.org