One Less Car Day event to return for fourth year on Oct. 26

One year ago, 20-year-old Shelby Krantz used to drive everywhere.

But after Krantz, a natural resource conservation junior, learned more about the effects of pollution on the environment, she decided to start biking instead of driving.

Come Oct. 26, Krantz will be among the hundreds of students to participate in Sustainable UF's annual One Less Car Day.

One Less Car Day is part of an ongoing campaign to encourage UF students and faculty to use alternative transportation.

Transportation accounts for about 10 percent of the university's carbon footprint, created by harmful emissions that affect the environment, said 25-year-old Ashley Pennington, outreach coordinator for the UF Office of Sustainability.

The goal of One Less Car Day, she said, is for UF to be carbon-neutral by 2025.

"It's not our office's goal; it's UF's goal," Pennington said.

During One Less Car Day, the Office of Sustainability hopes to raise awareness on alternative transportation and the causes of climate change. Rather than drive to school, students will be encouraged to walk, bike or take a bus.

Gainesville is the 16th friendliest bike city in the United States, Pennington said.

"It's a great way to get exercise, and it's a lot better than sitting in traffic," she said.

Krantz, a member of Gators Going Green, said students can make a difference by taking simple steps like turning off the air before leaving home, using reusable water bottles and taking the bus instead of driving to school.

Pennington said she encourages students to visit the Sustainable UF website for more information on One Less Car Day and other campaigns students can get involved with.

"There are plenty of ways to get involved," she said.

As of Friday afternoon, about 550 people had committed to using alternative transportation on campus on One Less Car Day, Pennington said.

To register for One Less Car Day, visit sustainable.ufl.edu/onelesscar.