Picture the stretch between Murphree Hall and East Hall. That's how far UF students living in the area nicknamed "the Murph" have to travel to do their laundry.

This inconvenience to students living there is the result of construction taking place around the area, which is expected to continue until the fall semester begins.

The construction project's purpose is to update the area's look and feel. This involves new landscaping outside of the Murphree commons, including a new courtyard, as well as a complete renovation of the Murphree Common Area, which will have a new mail room, laundry room, bathrooms, activity area, conference area and a new common space.

Lauren Alderman is one of the students inconvenienced by the construction. She has lived in Thomas Hall, one of the buildings in the area, for two years.

To her, the biggest inconvenience is the noise. She has to wear earplugs when in her room to block out the noise.

However, she thinks the ends will justify the means.

Alderman said she realizes construction during the summer when students are gone means fewer students are being inconvenienced.

"Hopefully, we'll reap the benefits in the fall," she said.

Juggling the ability to provide students with summer housing at different cost ranges, while still attempting to renovate historic buildings around these students, has proven to be difficult for the university, said Sharon Blansett, assistant director of housing for research and organizational development.

"Almost all of the residence halls have some type of renovation project going on," she said. "We are trying to be as least disruptive as possible, so we chose to do the project over the summer."

The renovations are expected to cost about $1.5 million.