President Fuchs told UF’s Board of Trustees he worries about students’ health Friday morning. 

Committees summarized UF’s accomplishments during the 2014-2015 academic year on the second day of the board meeting. It started Thursday and continued Friday. 

Fuchs gave his own report, choosing to discuss students’ mental health and how UF has handled the increased demand for mental health services.

He said the Counseling & Wellness Center needs four counselors and the Dean of Students Office Care Team needs two more staff members. The Student Health Care Center also needs an additional psychiatrist. 

“This is an area in every university in the nation where there’s growing demand,” Fuchs said. 

Other UF administrators gave presentations about students’ mental health and how their departments are addressing it. 

Jen Day Shaw, UF’s associate vice president and dean of students, said she wants students to use campus mental health resources.

“Everybody knows that it is part of their responsibility to look after the well being of students,” she said. 

Steven Scott, the Board of Trustees’ chairman, said the group’s next meeting will be his last as chairman. He said he will remain on the Board of Trustees for a brief period of time. He did not say who would replace him as chairman. 

The Board of Trustees also passed a resolution to rename the Herbert Wertheim Engineering Building to the Herbert Wertheim Laboratory for Engineering Excellence.

What the Board of Trustees has done in the last academic year:

Aug. 3, 2015

Board raises the minimum hourly wage for UF staff from $10 to $12. 

Dec. 3, 2015 

Greek housing is expanded to three 1-acre plots of land west of Hume Hall. 

Jan. 1 

Graduate assistants get raise of $430, plus $50 in fee reliefs 

April 1 

United Faculty of Florida members receive a 2.5-percent merit-based salary increase, applying to work done since January 1.