Campus event to promote Islam awareness

Follow the footprints on the Reitz Union Colonnade today and Friday to take a journey through Islamic traditions, culture and history during the Islam Awareness Month kick-off fair sponsored by Islam on Campus.

From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday, the Islam Fair will feature a photography gallery and ethnic clothes for a photobooth session. People can get their names written in Arabic calligraphy and tie-dye hijabs.

The tie-dye hijabs, or traditional Islamic head-coverings, can be worn as scarves or any way preferred, said Sumrah Iqbal, a 20-year-old UF mechanical engineering junior and event chairwoman for Hijab Day.

“It’s just a fun way to get people involved and start a dialogue with hijab,” she said. “It’s all about breaking those stereotypes.”

Along with cultural activities, Middle-Eastern hummus, falafels and possibly the Arabic dish warageneb — stuffed grape leaves — will be available for free, said Sameer Saboungi, an 18-year-old UF international studies freshman and vice president of external affairs for Islam on Campus.

The journey through Islam will continue Tuesday with Quran 101, a discussion about the Muslims’ sacred book featuring UF assistant professor Sarra Tlili of Arabic Language and Literature. It will be in the Rion Ballroom from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.

A full schedule of events can be found online at www.islamoncampus.com/islam-awareness-month/.