UF students form quintet, to perform over Spring Break

<p>From left: Audrey Bridge, 20, Cara McDermott, 20, Ismael Sandoval, 21, Lucas Owen, 20, and Neal Romberg, 21, pose for a photo outside Century Tower. Together, the five form the Seven Cents Brass Quintet.</p>

From left: Audrey Bridge, 20, Cara McDermott, 20, Ismael Sandoval, 21, Lucas Owen, 20, and Neal Romberg, 21, pose for a photo outside Century Tower. Together, the five form the Seven Cents Brass Quintet.

While many students will be running to the beach for Spring Break next week, a student-run brass quintet will be performing in Jacksonville and the Florida Keys.

Audrey Bridge, Cara McDermott, Lucas Owen, Neal Romberg and Ismael Sandoval make up the Seven Cents Brass Quintet and will be taking their instruments on the road.  

“A specific word you could used to describe us is ‘nomadic,’” said Bridge, the French horn player and a 20-year-old UF music and biology junior.

The all-brass quintet was formed in December and is made up of a tuba, French horn, trombone and two trumpets.

McDermott, a trumpet player, said she is excited about the upcoming shows.

“We’re incredibly excited to perform for a completely different group of people in settings that we as students do not commonly get to perform in,” wrote McDermott, a UF biology sophomore, in an email.

McDermott, 20, said the tour came as a spontaneous gesture from Sandoval, the tuba player. Sandoval was planning to return home to Key Largo for a few solo performances and invited the group to come along.

The quintet will also perform at the grand opening of a Belk department store in Jacksonville.  

“Music is something I love,” McDermott said, “and I can’t think of a better way to spend a week than traveling with others who feel the same way and sharing our passion with a new community.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/25/2015 under the headline “UF students form quintet, to perform over Spring Break”]