Women’s rights activist Sandra Fluke made an appearance on Turlington Plaza on Wednesday to encourage students to utilize early voting for next week’s presidential election.

Fluke stopped at UF as part of her “It’s On You” Youth Early Vote Campus Outreach tour.

About 40 students gathered by the potato statue to listen.

“Florida is so critical to this election,” Fluke said in her speech.

She received national attention after a congressional controversy regarding whether insurance should include a contraception mandate. Talk show host Rush Limbaugh then called her a “slut” on air.

On Wednesday, Fluke mentioned that President Barack Obama doubled investment in Pell Grants, gave families with college students a tuition tax credit and fought to keep student loan rates low.

Victoria Joyal, a 21-year-old computer engineering senior and Vox: Voices for Planned Parenthood officer, said she was happy Fluke came to rally students.

“I’ve noticed that a lot of people aren’t as enthusiastic about voting as they should be,” Joyal said. “Having a notable person will get people more excited to vote.”

Following the speech, Fluke walked students to an early voting van, which took students to polling places in Alachua County.

Fluke is traveling throughout the state to mobilize young voters, she said. Her next stop is in Wakulla.

“This is like, razor-thin close,” she said, “and youth — college kids — are going to be able to make a difference.”

Contact Kathryn Varn at [email protected].

(7) entries

drewsma
drewsma

40 people! That must be a record for her. She had 10 people at an event in Nevada. Women need to stop voting with their pelvis and start using their brains.

Lady Smarts
Lady Smarts

I vote with my lady smarts

Ergo I vote Republican

You?

bulldog
bulldog

The freaks on the steps of the Student Union get a better turn out. Funny how a graduate of Georgetown Law School has to beg taxpayers of America for her birth control.

SayWhatNow
SayWhatNow

Describing Fluke as a "women’s rights activist" is like calling a vibrator a monument to civil rights.

Romulan
Romulan

Someone who can't manage her monthly personal finances well enough to be able to set aside $10 or maybe $15 for b.c. pills.... not surprising that SHE would be endorsing Mr. "my daughter's seventh-grade math is over my head!"

SeanJohnson
SeanJohnson

What are you people talking about? At what point did Sandra Fluke ever say that taxpayers should pay for contraceptives? Her speech before Congress was about a private healthcare plan ran by a private university.

Scott_Sommers
Scott_Sommers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoms

oh wait no pills are better

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.